Collage

Collage
Hello and thanks for visiting my blog. I have been knitting on and off for 50 years and I recently learned to crochet. I love looking for wool bargains and making them into something useful. I mainly knit for charity. I occasionally knit for myself and family members if I find a really good pattern or if they ask nicely!!

Wednesday 28 November 2012

Another week, another scarf.....


Here's another scarf I'm knitting for Operation Orphan http://www.operation-orphan.org/initiatives.htm

I really like the way it's turning out.  I'm using size 6mm needles, and rust colour dk wool and cream 4 ply wool together.  I just happened to have these colours already and love imagining how various yarns will work together.  I can tell that this is a scarf I will have difficulty giving away.  It brings back memories of my school days because my uniform was rust and cream.  I didn't particularly like the school but I did like the uniform.  I'm going to be firm with myself though.  I already have a drawer full of scarves, hats and gloves and have no desire to start filling a second drawer.

The pattern is taking longer to knit than my usual slightly lazy garter stitch scarves. But the end result is chunky, warm and worth the effort.

Here's the pattern:
Aran, chunky, or dk used together with 4 ply yarn
size 6mm needles
Cast on 27 stitches
Knit 2 rows then change to the pattern:
Row 1: knit 3, purl 3.  Repeat to the end of the row.
Row 2: knit 1, purl 1.  Repeat to the end of the row.
Repeat the 2 pattern rows until the scarf is the desired length.
Knit 2 rows.
Cast off.

My scarf is for a young child, so it will eventually be about 36"-42" long depending on how much wool I have left.  The rule of thumb is apparently that a scarf should be as long as the height of the person who will wear it.  It looks like I will need less than 150g of each yarn.

For an adult scarf I would cast on 33 stitches and continue the pattern for approximately 60".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. You are a star.