Collage

Collage
Hello and thanks for visiting my blog. I have been knitting on and off for 50 years and I recently learned to crochet. I love looking for wool bargains and making them into something useful. I mainly knit for charity. I occasionally knit for myself and family members if I find a really good pattern or if they ask nicely!!

Friday 9 August 2013

Not a sheep in sight........



This is slightly off topic for a wool/knitting/crochet blog but I just had to show the 2 dresses I made this week.  I used to sew a lot many moons ago and even made my own coats, trousers, jackets and blouses.  Then I stopped sewing and promptly forgot nearly everything.  These dresses have been a steep learning curve and I'm pleased with the way they turned out.

They are very similar to the pillowcase dresses that people make but I actually followed a Simplicity pattern.  I looked at lots of online tutorials about how to make this type of dress but gave up partly because I don't have any spare pillowcases and partly because I bought this lovely material for the bargain price of £1 a year ago and have been itching to use it.  The blue material at the hemline is from an old sheet that I had already chopped up and used to line a baby blanket last year.

These two dresses are supposed to fit a girl aged 6 years old.  The organisation I am thinking of sending these to is Sew Scrumptious which distributes dresses to girls in Africa, India and other countries worldwide.  With that in mind, I made a great effort to make these dresses as indestructible as possible.  They will hopefully be handed down and worn by many girls over the next few years.

As I am not lucky enough to have a sewing room, I have to use the dining room table.  This time of year the room is bathed in natural light and warmth.  I'm going to take advantage of that and do a bit more sewing before the weather changes.  

7 comments:

  1. The dresses are wonderful, Una! I am sure that little girls will be happy to have them and will feel very pretty wearing them too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Una you certainly have not forgotten anything! these are just fantastic, some little girls are going to be so pleased with them xx well done xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Una they are lovely you have done a great job. I bought some material last month to try and make some dresses too but I think it's the thought of getting the sewing machine out, I have to sew in the living room and it will look like a work shop for ages because it takes me for ever to get anything finished when I'm sewing, it's not one of my strong points but I do have a go now and then :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in the same boat as you. I have to get everything out and clear it away again. I would sew more if I could just leave it on a table that nobody else wants to use.

      Delete
  4. Great job on the dresses! I used to do a bit of sewing, but was never very good at it. I have been thinking about getting a basic sewing machine and trying it out again. You have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say "go for it". I'm really grateful that I kept my machine all these years. It's a mid-range machine, but I have probably only used the basic functions.

      Delete
  5. Awwww, the dresses are adorable! Love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. You are a star.