This hat was a bit of a double experiment. Firstly, I wanted to knit it to the same size as the last hat but I had slightly less yarn. So I decided to knit the main body of the hat as stocking stitch instead of rib. It made a huge difference and I had quite a lot of yarn left, whereas I would definitely have run out if I had kept to the original ribbing.
It still fits my head model easily and looks fine. It obviously has less yarn, so will possibly be less warm. But our winters here are rarely Arctic, so it should be perfectly comfortable.
Secondly, I wanted to see what the very neat way of shaping the crown looked like in stocking stitch rather than ribbing. This shaping is what attracted me to the original pattern, so it was worth trying. I think it was a success. The photo is a bit fuzzy. But the crown of the hat is very easy on the eye and I will definitely use this method of shaping again. Sadly, I can't go into detail about how the crown is shaped as the pattern was written by someone else and is her copyright. But I definitely recommend it.
The head model came in useful once again. It's OK trying on a knitted hat for size. But it's very difficult to see the top of your own head!
***STOP PRESS*** I've just discovered that this blog is listed in the online version of Yours magazine here so I would like to extend a special welcome to all Yours readers.