Collage

Collage
Hello and thanks for visiting my blog. I have been knitting on and off for 50 years and I recently learned to crochet. I love looking for wool bargains and making them into something useful. I mainly knit for charity. I occasionally knit for myself and family members if I find a really good pattern or if they ask nicely!!

Monday 6 July 2015

My mission hits the buffers...





Well, my mission to use up all my 4 ply yarn has hit the buffers.  I have finally realised how far a ball of 4 ply yarn will go.  I gathered together some small oddments and actually managed to knit 6 hats and a scarf.  I held two strands of 4 ply together and knit the Aran pattern Be Loving by Melissa Simpson.  This is a lovely, easy pattern and the finished hat can be worn with the brim up or down.

I enjoyed combining different colours to create a variegated effect. To keep my interest going, I played around with different stripe patterns.  I even experimented by using a tiny remnant of beige yarn to cast on the brown hat at the top of the picture.  I had just enough left to knit the first row and I really like the way it looks when the brim is turned up.  I might use that design feature again on future hats.

I also knitted a simple pink stripy scarf by just repeating blocks of garter stitch.

Apart from a few balls of white baby yarn, I know I have NEVER knowingly purchased 4 ply yarn.  All this came to me mainly as donations from generous bloggers, Freecyclers and Ravelry members. 

I still have plenty of 4 ply yarn left and I will slowly work my way through it.  But I stopped when my shoebox was full enough to send off to Operation Orphan.  I heard that they have a lorry full of donated items going to Nepal this month.  I'm hoping I haven't missed it.  But, if I have, there will always be another delivery.

*****My next post will be all about the giveaway I am planning to hold for my Big Birthday in August.  Watch this space for more details.*****



13 comments:

  1. Hi Una, wow how great to have made all of those pretty hats and scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and those like you are wonderful people. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I love the effect of combining colors too. All of them are lovely, and I am sure they will be greatly appreciated :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are doing a great job of using up that 4ply Una your hats and that scarf are all lovely. I'm sending my box out tomorrow but as you say if it's too late for this delivery it will go out on the next. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're not too late. I just had a thank you message from Operation Orphan. They are packing next week for deliveries to the Ukraine, Moldova and Nepal.

      Delete
  5. I really like the beige trim on the brown hat. You've done very well with all the knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The little hats are adorable! I am sure they will be well loved by there new owners!

    Take care
    Anne
    Crochet Between Worlds

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since I discovered the wonderful effect I can get combining thinner yarns into something thicker I'm almost obsessed with it (so far in making scarves, but I intend to branch out. :^) . I haven't yet tried combining a thin yarn with a thick yarn, but that is next. Your donated items look really terrific and will be such a blessing to their someday owners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've combined yarns of different thicknesses and the effect is interesting. I'd say give it a try.

      Delete
  8. Look at all those hats, they are gorgeous and will be loved by their new owners!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think 4 ply breeds more readily than thicker yarns! Your hats are delightful, and you have achieved some really interesting colour and stripe combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the trim effect too, and what a great way to use up your 4-ply. I am the same never bought 4-ply, not knowingly anyway! Well apart from one ball but it was red (divine) so it doesn't count!
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think maybe your 4-ply yarn is the same as sock or baby yarn? A bit thinner than worsted weight? That's what I've been using to knit little baby dolls lately. Lots of it was given to me by a friend. I didn't think I'd like knitting little bitty things, but I find it very fun. I'm using size 2 (US) needles. I made dolls with little blankets. It would be a wonderful use of small bits of yarn too small to turn into regular clothing, and would be a lovely gift for little girls at your charities.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. You are a star.