Collage

Collage
Hello and thanks for visiting my blog. I have been knitting on and off for 50 years and I recently learned to crochet. I love looking for wool bargains and making them into something useful. I mainly knit for charity. I occasionally knit for myself and family members if I find a really good pattern or if they ask nicely!!

Saturday 2 January 2016

Knit For Winter 2015: the finished hats...





An amazing 55g of 4 ply yarn was all it took to knit these little bonnets for the Knit For Winter 2015 campaign.  Sunrise Senior Living organises annual campaigns and this year opted to help First Touch which supports sick and premature babies at St. George's Hospital in London.

Around 60,000 babies are born prematurely in the UK every year and 600 of these are born at St. George's Hospital.  Keeping them warm is very important and the hats and blankets that will be made by many knitters will be invaluable.  If you want to get involved, there is still time this winter.  You can download the knitting patterns here

Each hat takes only a few hours to knit and they are a wonderful way to use up small scraps of yarn.  I was able to knit one of each size in the pattern with just 55g of yarn.

I knitted these in the peace and quiet of the last couple of weeks. This is my first post of what looks like being a hectic 2016 for me.  Happy New Year to everyone!



8 comments:

  1. You are an angel!
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to you too, Una! Lovely little hats for such a good cause. Pardon my ignorance, but what is the purpose of the flap?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently it lets the hospital staff attach equipment to the baby's head without having to remove the hat.

      Delete
  3. A great 2015 finish! Happy New Year! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year Una - I hope 2016 brings you joy. I always enjoy seeing what you are making - you are a very talented lady with a great big heart. The world needs more lovely people like you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look lovely, Una. I find these very quick and satisfying to make, and, as you point out, you do get a lot out of a ball of 4 ply!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great hats Una, I made lots of these in the past and they are always needed I must do some more, I have a considerable 4ply stash too! Have a great weekend. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are darling -- how nice to get so much from so little yarn! Hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. You are a star.