Collage

Collage
Hello and thanks for visiting my blog. I have been knitting on and off for 50 years and I recently learned to crochet. I love looking for wool bargains and making them into something useful. I mainly knit for charity. I occasionally knit for myself and family members if I find a really good pattern or if they ask nicely!!

Tuesday 24 May 2016

Off they go....




This hat looks 100% better in real life!  I had some variegated yarn left after finishing my recent blanket and, as usual, didn't want to "put it back in the bag".  So I knitted a hat to fit a toddler.  I had a tiny amount of matching plain pink yarn and thought this was the perfect opportunity to use it up.  There was enough for the 8 rows of ribbing and also to insert a very subtle single round every nine rounds in the main body of the hat.  These contrast rounds barely show up in the photo.  You can just about see one on the left side of the hat above the ribbing.  But I am very pleased at how they look and will do this again with another hat.


I added the hat to the parcel of goodies that I have just sent off to Operation Orphan for their Keep A Child Warm campaign.  That is 4 scarves, 8 hats and a jumper out of my home and on their way to keep someone warm.

I managed to use up every last scrap of the plain pink yarn.  I love it when that happens.  However, I still have some of the variegated yarn left and just had to put it away.  I'm all pinked out for now and have started a little project in blue...more about that soon.


10 comments:

  1. Lovely hat Una, yes it's so satisfying when you manage to use up every scrap. I have a box to send off to operation orphan too, I must try and do it this week. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I've been into a hat making mode. Simple to carry and not complicated like socks :-) ~Terri

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fully appreciate that great feeling when you manage to finish off a ball of yarn and the item you're knitting at the same time! Great hat, and a lovely collection to a worthy cause.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely wee hat and a great way to use up leftover wool. Congratulations on being blog of the month in the UK Hand Knitting Association newsletter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks for telling me about the newsletter. I didn't know I was in it! I've now signed up to the website as it looks really interesting.

      Delete
  5. Una, you are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are amazing Una.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. I used the easy Basic Baby Hat pattern by Heather Tucker.
      http://stitcheryprojects.com/2011/03/21/basic-baby-hat/
      I love this pattern and have used it many times.

      Delete
  8. Isn't it amazing how you see one image through the view finder of the camera, and the picture taken changes the color. Between now and the weekend I will have posted 2 shawls I am working on. One of them the color of the yarn was so off as to be almost unrecognizable from reality. Natural lighting usually fixes that problem but I was taking pictures indoors and at night. Oh well. Maybe a finished project picture outside at some point will be taken.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. You are a star.