Collage

Collage
Hello and thanks for visiting my blog. I have been knitting on and off for 50 years and I recently learned to crochet. I love looking for wool bargains and making them into something useful. I mainly knit for charity. I occasionally knit for myself and family members if I find a really good pattern or if they ask nicely!!

Sunday 16 December 2018

My 4 ply days are OVER...



I have never knowingly bought 4 ply yarn. But I seem to accumulate quite a lot of it via kind donations. It definitely comes in useful for tiny baby items, which I like to knit occasionally. It's also easier to knit with during the summer when the thought of working with aran or even double knit wool is often far from enticing. Those are the plus points. The big negative is how long it takes to produce anything on tiny needles. 

So, it seems like I have been working my way through a large bag of 4 ply for YEARS. I'm delighted to say I have finally finished. Woo hoo! 

I knitted two hats for PreemiesUK. I love this shade of pale green because it is very easy on the eye. The little scraps in the photo are all I have left in my 4 ply collection. There isn't enough to knit another hat, so I am officially declaring my 4 ply days OVER. I won't waste the scraps though. They will end up as little decorations or motifs on other future projects.

The weather is freezing cold here at the moment.....just right for the aran wool project I have planned to start next....

I hope everyone is having a peaceful end to the year. I couldn't resist adding the following photo. I'm sure it applies to dogs, cats, ferrets, rabbits, and small children!



12 comments:

  1. I love the picture of the Christmas tree, haha! You made a lot with all the 4-ply, enjoy your new project! Love, Anja

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weill done Una, good for you finishing up that yarn and helping so many in the process. You are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the cat is so relieved to know other trees swoon. Well done on the four ply.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am knitting a shawl/ scarf for my daughter.Be Simple which is free on Ravelry.It is a really easy pattern but very effective.I only bought the yarn on Thursday.100g 400 metres 4 ply.I need to get it finished by Wednesday!!!I would never consider knitting anything larger than a scarf or socks in 4 ply.It would take too long and I have not got the patience any more.I love the things you make for charity.I have just knitted a pair of small socks with left over yarn.I will see if he charity I support (Shareaid.co.uk) thinks they are a good idea or not.Barbarax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! It would take me months to knit a scarf with 4 ply.

      Delete
  5. Well done Una you are better than me I have had a stash of 4ply wool for ages and just can't face it, I've also got a huge stash of 4ply cones but I use two or three strands at a time when I use those. Haha love the photo. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree. Combining is a great way to use up the cones.

      Delete
  6. Fun picture.Made me laugh. I guess I am a bit of an odd-man-out on wool. I enjoy all weights, but I find that thinner yarn makes the most wearable projects. You are right, it takes longer - but I am not doing charity knitting so I am happy to take the time to complete a project in whatever weight makes the most sense for the project.

    Hope your holiday is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, 4 ply gives a good finish. I actually prefer it for preemie items.

      Delete
  7. That cat definitely looks guilty! lol I don't work with such thin yarn very often, but I'm getting ready to add fingering weight to some aran for (hopefully) and interesting look in a scarf. Your knit baby things are so lovely, Una. And I do love that green, too. Yay for finishing up the 4 ply! You are a saint. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely charity knitting
    Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that cat photo - made me giggle!
    I never, ever buy that thin yarn. I guess over here we just call it baby yarn or sock yarn. It takes forever, unless the project itself is very tiny. I usually buy bulky yarn of some type. Our yarn, on the package, is labeled by its size. The normal weight is 4, but I often buy size 6. I'm not sure how that compares to 4-ply. But agree on the itty bitty needles and the endless knitting! :) Glad you reached the bottom of the bag.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. You are a star.