Collage

Collage
Hello and thanks for visiting my blog. I have been knitting on and off for 50 years and I recently learned to crochet. I love looking for wool bargains and making them into something useful. I mainly knit for charity. I occasionally knit for myself and family members if I find a really good pattern or if they ask nicely!!

Sunday 17 February 2019

Preemie items; off they go...




I have been busy knitting bootees and mittens for PreemiesUK. The pattern is a really basic one which is on their website somewhere. Each item weighs about 5g, so it's a great way to use up leftover yarn. I usually prefer to knit bigger items such as blankets and hats, but they are currently snowed under with them and have specifically requested bootees and mittens.

They have also requested items that could be sold at an Easter craft fair, so I threw in a bunny blanket and a couple of trinket bags that I knitted years ago.

Daylight is stronger today, so the yellow colour is showing up better than in my last blog post. I really loathe any shade of yellow. After knitting the bootees I had to force myself to sew them up just so that I could post them off. To prove that my heart was not in the sewing, I actually managed to sew across the top of one of the bootees. Duh! Luckily I was able to undo it. Phew! I wonder what daft mistakes other people have made...

12 comments:

  1. So many you wouldn't believe, I have just finished a jumper and sewed the sleeve in the wrong way, it took me longer to unpick it than it did to sew it. I don't particularly like yellow either and they don't like lemon or yellow for preemies anyway but when I get a donation of yarn there always seems to be lots of balls of yellow, I have quite a lot that I need to use up. Those items are so sweet Una. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why people give away yellow. I know it isn't popular on preemies. But I'm telling myself it looks close to cream and it will suit someone one day!

      Delete
    2. It isn't quite as acidic as it looks in the photo, thankfully.

      Delete
  2. I once picked up the front of a child's raglan I can knit in my sleep for one sleeve, and the back as the other. Knit both sleeve before I realized!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely collection of infant items. I like yellow. I guess someone needs to. Ha! Have you ever done a count of how many charity items you have made. Guess it is too late to do something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started keeping a count a few years ago. I'm up to 276. Most of those are charity items as family only want so many hats/scarves. I have to laugh though when I realise a blanket and a bootee both count as 1 item.

      Delete
  4. Such sweet items, Una. And your knitting is very generous. I remind myself often that colors I don't care for will make someone happy. And besides... I don't think it's the color that a recipient of such sweet things will focus on, nearly as much as the delight (maybe even surprise?) of receiving a hand-made item.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done you! You must be getting down the small balls now. Lovely items. Jo xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make me laugh :) I think green is the color I most dislike. Your handiwork looks lovely. That bunny blanket is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am always making huge mistakes. It is much easier to fix them if you are crocheting, knitting not so much. You are so kind to make these much needed items.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. You are a star.