Collage

Collage
Hello and thanks for visiting my blog. I have been knitting on and off for 50 years and I recently learned to crochet. I love looking for wool bargains and making them into something useful. I mainly knit for charity. I occasionally knit for myself and family members if I find a really good pattern or if they ask nicely!!

Sunday 29 March 2020

Rainbow pants...



I used to think of the world as:
  • before and after Daughter was born,
  • before and after 9/11,
  • and before and after Brexit. 

Now I think of it as: 
  • before and after Covid-19. 


The "after" part(y) hasn't happened yet, but, for our sanity, we have to believe that it will.

My last blog post was in January. I envy those innocent days when we had no idea what was looming on the horizon. I think rumours had started to reach us about a virus thousands of miles away, but we were told we had nothing to worry about. Wrong! It's a small world.

Since then I have experienced every emotion, except happiness. That will come the day we hear the virus is under control. It will be thanks to the huge efforts of the medical profession, and to the sacrifices of the general population who are living under unthinkable conditions at the moment. Some are taking more care than others, but that's life...and death. 

Personally, I only have to look at the marvellous new hospital that has appeared in London only a few miles from where I live. It has been converted from a large exhibition centre and will have 4000 beds. Impressive and a life saver. But going in there would be my idea of hell on earth. Luckily, my family and I tend to be healthy and fit. We avoid hospitals at the best of times, and that is one we definitely never want to visit. If I have to stay indoors for a few weeks, so be it. I have plenty to keep me busy.

Meanwhile, people are coping as well as possible. There have been efforts to cheer us all up. One of them was to encourage children to paint rainbows and put them in their windows. I can't say I have seen any. But I am living under lock down, only allowed to go out once a day for a walk and essential shopping. If anyone has put rainbows in their windows, thank you.

I stopped knitting for a while when the shock of what is happening turned my world grey. I was waking up in the mornings and, for a few seconds, all was well with the world. Then I remembered what was happening and the dread returned. The tv was on too much playing a constant loop of tragic news.

But then I decided I had to stick to a routine and keep busy. I'm still knitting worry monster pants for Knit-for-Nowt. As going shopping for wool is not essential and it would be impossible to find any shops selling wool, I'm using up what I have. The mauve wool is a bit boring. But I have been using up oddments and adding tiny splashes of colour. The rainbow on this pair of pants was a lucky accident.

I've been visiting all my favourite blogs and am happy to see everyone seems to be staying positive. Long may it continue.


6 comments:

  1. Hi Una I'm glad to see your post and know you are healthy and well, it's very hard this staying at home for all of us, how we took things for granted, I hope and pray that we will see a light at the end of the tunnel before too long. I went out for my essential shopping last week to Aldi and to my delight I saw a shelf full of yarn, I bought 3 packs and will buy more if there's any left next time I go. I have made myself a timetable and am trying not to watch the news too much because dwelling on it and hearing all the heart braking stories will only depress me more. I love your rainbow pants, I have been making baby things but am now looking for a new project there are so many beautiful patterns out there. Take care and stay safe. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certainly are right to add before and after Covid-19. The saddest, saddest thing to me is that people are dying in higher percentages than to the flu, and worse, doctors and nurses are dying, to take care of it. It's horrid, like a snake eating its tail.
    You take care and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your thoughts here, Una. Very well put. I'm glad for you that you've gotten back to knitting. Your latest Worry Monster pants are perfect with that colorful stripe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Una, I am glad you are finding some comfort in knitting. Stay safe and positive. Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad that you are ok. I like the cute pants you knitted. I hope you stay safe and be well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It all seems "other worldly." Like the story line in a book. And I have a hard time wrap my mind around the fact that it is a world wide event. Everyone is telling the same story. Stay safe and stay well. 'See' you on the other side of Covid-19.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. You are a star.