Collage

Collage
Hello and thanks for visiting my blog. I have been knitting on and off for 50 years and I recently learned to crochet. I love looking for wool bargains and making them into something useful. I mainly knit for charity. I occasionally knit for myself and family members if I find a really good pattern or if they ask nicely!!

Tuesday 19 January 2021

Definitely the last masks...



Back in December, before our latest lockdown, I was volunteering in a charity shop. I decided it was high time to make some more masks, but this time in a plain, light colour. Because I wash my masks every day, they are starting to look past their prime. So I dug out my material scraps and made these two beauties. The material came from my wedding dress that I cut up for projects yonks ago. Waste not, want not. I never dreamed decades ago what that material would eventually be used for. Very sad. 😢

Anyway, what is even sadder, is that my charity shop which was decorated and stocked up for Christmas, was closed at very short notice by the latest lockdown a few days before Christmas. It looks like being months before it is allowed to open again. Christmas will be a distant memory, which is just as well really as it was not what we were all looking forward to. 

The only silver lining is that, when we reopen, I will have two summery masks ready to wear. I'm expecting mask-wearing to continue for the rest of 2021 and maybe even longer on public transport. But I'm not going to make any more. I have a boxful now and that's enough.

I'm making very slow progress on the crochet blanket that I started months ago. Every time I sit down to work on it I suddenly find myself with a lapful of cat. She is 18 now, so how can I say no?!

Hopefully, I will be able to show a photo of the blanket in progress in my next blog post. Watch this space...


13 comments:

  1. Blanket making keeps you warm and so does a cat.I would opt for the cat every time!
    Stay safe.
    Barbarax
    I am doing granny squares in lockdown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea. Maybe I could manage squares with a cat on my lap.

      Delete
  2. You made such pretty masks. It will be nice when we don't have to worry about getting sick and wearing a mask! The cat sounds so sweet and likes to cuddle with you. Take care and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get the same lapful of cat, and he's only nine, going on ten. Very determned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing how well cats get on with human meal machines!

      Delete
  4. You say that very time Una I bet you do make more haha, it's a depressing thought isn't it having to wear them for so much longer. Yes enjoy the cat cuddles for as long as you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know 😄. I thought my first mask blog post would be a one-off. I must stop now because they are spoiling my blog.

      Delete
  5. It is very sad that needed charity shops have gotten closed in the lockdowns. Fortunately, here (in our state) that hasn't happened, but it has elsewhere in the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's interesting how many customers come into the charity shop nearly every day. Sometimes they just want to chat. I really enjoy volunteering there. We aren't as essential as e.g. pharmacies, but we are important.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I look forward to seeing the blanket. I am working on a knitted blanket right now and I look forward to be finished with it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww. Your sweet kitty doesn't want yarn competition! I agree about making masks. I probably need to make more for my husband. His are looking stretched out and shabby.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very late comment - I hope that the shop has been able to re-open, or that it will soon.

    You must have nearly finished that blanket by now!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. You are a star.