Collage

Collage
Hello and thanks for visiting my blog. I have been knitting on and off for 50 years and I recently learned to crochet. I love looking for wool bargains and making them into something useful. I mainly knit for charity. I occasionally knit for myself and family members if I find a really good pattern or if they ask nicely!!

Wednesday 14 November 2012

On my needles today.....

On my needles today is a child's scarf in shocking pink.  I found the pink wool in a charity shop for 50p and the cone of pale pink was given to me as a freebie.  I love a bargain and this theme will become a common one in my blog.  

The dark pink wool is a brushed double knitting wool. I use the terms "wool" and "yarn"  very loosely.  I know all yarn is not necessarily wool, but I love the word "wool" because it evokes images of softness and warmth.  The label was missing when I bought it so the brand will be forever a mystery.  The cone of pale pink wool is only 2 ply and in my opinion only fit for adding to projects like this.  I personally can't imagine knitting with 2 ply yarn on its own; though some people do, so each to his own.  My little brain tells me that 8 ply plus 2 ply = 10 ply and I am using size 5mm knitting needles.  For this scarf, I am simply using garter stitch.  This seems to be working out fine as the scarf is turning out to be beautifully soft.    


I like the way the pale pink is toning down the darker pink and making it a bit less "in your face".  The coned yarn is a bit firmer than the brushed yarn, so it is also giving a bit of body and strength to the scarf.  That's important because this will be one of my many charity donations.  It will possibly end up in a part of the world where life is hard and garments have to last.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. You are a star.