Collage

Collage
Hello and thanks for visiting my blog. I have been knitting on and off for 50 years and I recently learned to crochet. I love looking for wool bargains and making them into something useful. I mainly knit for charity. I occasionally knit for myself and family members if I find a really good pattern or if they ask nicely!!

Sunday 25 August 2013

Especially for you.......

If this is the first time you have visited my blog.....welcome.

I was amazed to receive an email from Saga to say that my blog has been reviewed in their latest magazine article about the fifty top blogs by over fifties.  I'm not sure how that happened as I didn't enter any competitions and there are many brilliant blogs.  I'm just going to take it as a huge compliment.   The article will be published on August 28th.  For more information about Saga Magazine, see here.

I started this blog about 8 months ago just to record my crafting.  Since then it has had over 13.000 page views from all over the world.  Along the way I have met many other crafty bloggers and have been entertained, amazed and educated by their blogs.  You can see many of them listed in my right-hand sidebar.  The joy of blogs is that each one is as unique as the blogger who created it.

To me, age is just a number.  I feel as fit and active as ever.  Nothing slows me down.  In fact my age was a real advantage when compulsory redundancies were being dished out by my employer 2 years ago.  Luckily, I was just old enough (by 6 weeks) for my pension to kick in and I haven't looked back.  I relished all the unexpected free time and returned to knitting as a hobby.  I have also taught myself to crochet.  Most of the things I make go to various charities which I list at the top of my blog.  I usually photograph my creations and these can be seen by clicking on my photostream in the left-hand sidebar.

By sheer coincidence, my current project is a blanket that will be donated to a care home.  Here is a photo of the centre panel.  It is called Twining Trees.  




I found the pattern on Ravelry and fell in love with it.  It was a bit of a challenge but looks wonderful.  I added a log cabin border as this project was a good chance to try the technique.  My next job is to add a couple of rounds of crochet until the panel measures 18" square.  Then I'm going to knit leaves in autumn colours and sew them to the panel. I'll write another blog post when it's finished, so watch this space!  

I will send it off to SIBOL which is an organisation run by a lovely lady who distributes crocheted and knitted blankets to residents of care homes in the UK.  If you are experienced at knitting and crochet or feel like giving it a go, making squares and blankets is a worthwhile pastime.

I am always making something.......crochet, sewing and knitting....and I update my blog regularly.  If you like my blog, please come back again.  Even better, why not leave me a comment?  I always read my comments.

Before I go, I must applaud the regular visitors to my blog........you know who you are!!! 

Thanks for visiting.


11 comments:

  1. Well done you.... What a lovely and well deserved compliment from Saga. Your blanket is lovely and I know Sue will love it. Thank you fr having me and Chalky's World in your sidebar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, Una! What a great honor. I can definitely say that you've been an inspiration to me and I'm very glad we connected. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blanket is lovely Una, I love the tree's in the middle, I bet it will be lovely when it's finished.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on being named in the top fifty category for bloggers! The blanket is beautiful. I'm sure whoever gets it at the care home is going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done Una! One of the positives of being over 50!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool to have your blog reviewed and featured!! The blanket looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Una, well done - you do deserve it, you do some fantastic work and your blog is really interesting and lots of information, very inspirational - the latest blanket is really good looking forward to seeing it as it grows xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOh how exciting Una - your recognition by Saga is well deserved! Looking forward to seeing some more of your Twining trees blanket - looks great now but your plans sound even more original.
    Keep up the great woolly work!
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOh how exciting Una - your recognition by Saga is well deserved! Looking forward to seeing some more of your Twining trees blanket - looks great now but your plans sound even more original.
    Keep up the great woolly work!
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats Una You really deserve it as you are always thinking of how to make others happy. God bless "U" The blanket is lovely

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought I would check to see if you were mentioned. Well done I am so pleased for you! Thank you so much for mentioning our Group. This blanket is absolutely gorgeous and what a great idea. I know it will be accepted so well in the Homes I visit.
    Many thanks and Congratulations to you!
    Love Suex

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. You are a star.