Collage

Collage
Hello and thanks for visiting my blog. I have been knitting on and off for 50 years and I recently learned to crochet. I love looking for wool bargains and making them into something useful. I mainly knit for charity. I occasionally knit for myself and family members if I find a really good pattern or if they ask nicely!!

Tuesday 21 April 2020

Loosely related...



Whilst under house arrest and going slightly crazy I am still knitting pants for Knit-for-Nowt's worry monsters. However, I can't keep writing about pants as this blog might start attracting some very strange viewers! So, today I am posting about a book that is helping to keep me sane at the moment; The Salt Path by Raynor Winn.

To say I am under house arrest is a slight exaggeration. My Government guidelines are that I can go out for exercise once a day for an hour. I spend that walking the same streets as I am also supposed to stay local. Sadly, my streets are urban grey. 

This is a knitting, sewing and crocheting blog. But this book qualifies for a mention because I am sure I saw it recommended on one of my favourite blogs. I cannot remember which one, but to whoever recommended it....thank you.

I actually started reading it months ago, but life took over and I put it down for a while. I remembered it recently and I now read a chapter every evening in the vain hope of getting some sleep that isn't filled with nightmares. It is the true story of a couple who decide to walk the coastal path along the south-western tip of England. They have to cope with homelessness, hunger and terminal illness. But they manage to see the funny side! The writing style is chatty and down-to-earth. This is a walk I want to do one day when the world returns to a new normal. 

I hope everyone is well. The pink flowers in the photo were sent to me by a friend. They were a real surprise and cheered me up. So I'm sharing them here to "pass it on".


8 comments:

  1. I've seen this book recommended too, will have to get myself a copy.
    A lovely gift the flowers must have been, lots of people are doing wonderful things for others right now.
    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like an interesting book. Thanks for the recommendation. I have been doing a lot of reading each day too. The flowers are really pretty and a reminder that it's spring. Hope you are staying safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does sound like an interesting read Una. And what a pretty plant. It's a minature rose isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so! The only information on it was "pink rose". It came in a flat box. I put it into the pot to recover and will probably plant it in the garden later in the year.

      Delete
  4. Good to hear from you Una. I am not much of a reader but I have picked up a book I started a while back too. There is only so much knitting you can do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like an interesting book, if a little sad. I'm guessing it's set in Cornwall? I just finished reading "Rebecca," also set there. What a tale! She's quite a writer.
    You have stricter limits than we do here, by far. Sorry about that. It is a tough time, and a struggle. I have heard that nightmares and strange dreams are a symptom of this stay-at-home order. I hope your dreams settle down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you. Yes, we really are locked down here at the moment. I'm glad you are less confined. The south west coastal path is over 600 miles long and covers Cornwall, Devon and Dorset. There is a sequel to this book due in September. I'm looking forward to reading that one as well....hopefully under better circumstances.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. You are a star.