Collage

Collage
Hello and thanks for visiting my blog. I have been knitting on and off for 50 years and I recently learned to crochet. I love looking for wool bargains and making them into something useful. I mainly knit for charity. I occasionally knit for myself and family members if I find a really good pattern or if they ask nicely!!

Monday 22 December 2014

Balaclavas and gauge mattters...



I started by wanting to use up the festive red yarn and already had the perfect balaclava pattern.  There are lots of balaclava patterns available and this is my favourite as it is so easy.  Just 50g of yarn makes the age 3-4 years size.

The red yarn was a bootfair purchase in the summer.  I used every last scrap before reaching the ribbing around the face which is different yarn but such a close match that the difference is not obvious.

I also bought the brown yarn at the same bootfair.  There was less of this and I knew there would not be enough so I added 2 stripes of a tweedy green and brown yarn.  (The blue in the photo should actually be bottle green.)  This yarn came from a convent that was closing down a couple of years ago.  The nuns gave away a huge amount of yarn to  members of Loving Hands.

All the yarn is double knit weight but the brown hat is definitely smaller.  That just shows how important it is to check gauge before knitting if size is crucial.  In this instance, it doesn't matter as these hats will go to a charity and will fit someone!  

This will be my last post for a few days.  I hope everyone has a great week.

Happy Christmas!

12 comments:

  1. Terrific balaclavas! Merry Christmas, Una! I look forward to seeing all of your knitting in 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look snug and warm Una. Have a great Christmas. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Balaclavas make you so warm you wish they only had eyeholes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that red! Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They make someone very warm and snuggly! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely, they look nice and toasty. Have a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A Happy Christmas to you too! The balaclavas look wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those lovely balaclavas will keep 2 young people nice and warm. Many of the 8 ply yarns in Australia vary so much in thickness...some are more like a 5 ply.
    Have a wonderful Christmas Una!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful projects Una.
    Hugs and happy holidays,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  10. Una, these are adorable! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute! I've never made that kind of hat. I also rarely check gauge, I'm sorry to admit! It is important.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. You are a star.