Collage

Collage
Hello and thanks for visiting my blog. I have been knitting on and off for 50 years and I recently learned to crochet. I love looking for wool bargains and making them into something useful. I mainly knit for charity. I occasionally knit for myself and family members if I find a really good pattern or if they ask nicely!!

Thursday 18 December 2014

The Snowball Scarf...





I just had time to finish this scarf before I need to wrap it up and give it to my daughter.  She is half expecting the bobble hat that I knitted recently.  But this scarf will be a complete and (hopefully) pleasant surprise.  I needed a very quick pattern and eventually chose the Simply Elegant Scarf pattern.  It is the perfect crochet pattern for a beginner as all the stitches (including the last one in each row) are made into big spaces.  There is no fishing around to find an elusive chain stitch.

I used the same Woolworths Aran yarn that I used for the hat.  This yarn seems to be more suited to crochet than to knitting as it makes a very strong mesh stitch which disguises the odd blend of wool and acrylic.  I chained 25 stitches which gave me a width of 5.5 inches and I kept going until the scarf was long enough to wrap around the neck with both ends at the front.  

My daughter wears her scarves on the outside of her coat, so I added 2 pom-poms. This cream colour makes them look just like snowballs.

She loved the scarf I knitted a couple of years ago.  She enjoyed telling her friends that I had knitted it especially for her and her friends were suitably impressed.  I could have bought something similar. But I think hand-made scarves look much better quality than mass produced scarves.  

My daughter can do very basic knitting and takes a big interest in the things I make. At the moment she has very little free time.  I was the same at her age.  But look at me now! She could still become a demon knitter or maybe even a crocheter.  Meanwhile, I am happy to take commissions from her!

The scarf measures 70" x 5.5" and weighs 120g including the pom-poms.  I still have about 200g of this Woolworths Aran left and have broken with tradition by putting it back into the wool bag.  The last four items I made have been cream and I feel a need for some bright colours.

8 comments:

  1. So right for this time of year!! Happy Christmas! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gorgeous - I love the pom poms! I'm sure she will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's very pretty Una your daughter is going to love it. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your twinkly picture! I have made scarves with this pattern and they are so fast. My daughter is still plodding along with her scarf. She has made the pom poms for the ends already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I probably used PicMonkey to edit the photo. Congrats on having a daughter who shares the craft gene!

      Delete
  5. Una, she is going to love this scarf, it is perfect especially with those pom poms.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the scarf, and love the pom-poms - they finish it off perfectly! Have a happy weekend, xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is REALLY nice -- I'm going to go look at that pattern. What a pretty stitch it makes! She will love it. You have done so much with that wool! Very impressed :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. You are a star.