Collage

Collage
Hello and thanks for visiting my blog. I have been knitting on and off for 50 years and I recently learned to crochet. I love looking for wool bargains and making them into something useful. I mainly knit for charity. I occasionally knit for myself and family members if I find a really good pattern or if they ask nicely!!

Friday 5 June 2015

The Ombre Scarf..




I follow lots of blogs including the colourful Dayana Knits.  Dayana is a knitter who takes knitting to the next level.  In my eyes, she literally paints with yarn.  Her output is so great that I sometimes wonder how she finds time to sleep.  If you haven't come across her blog before, take a quick look and prepare to be amazed!

I first met Dayana when she answered an appeal for help with adding handwriting to a photo.  At the time I had an old computer which was sadly lacking in editing programs.  Not only did Dayana suggest how to do it, she actually did it for me!!

I had already decided to use up some of my 4 ply scraps when I read Dayana's post about ombre knitting.  She had managed to knit a whole jumper just using her leftover scraps.  Ombre is French for "shadow" and describes a technique for knitting with two yarns together in a way that bleeds the colours into each other.  

I sorted out my greens, creams and beiges and produced this scarf. It breaks the mould for me as I soon realised that it is not reversible.  But I carried on because I found the stitch interesting to knit.  It produces a strong fabric that would actually make a lovely cushion cover.  The only change I made to Dayana's pattern was to change the colours every eighth row instead of every fourth row.  That halved the number of ends to be sewn in.  But if I ever get around to knitting something smaller such as a cushion  cover, I would change the colours every fourth row for a more subtle effect.

Most of the yarn that I used is real wool and came from an English convent that closed down.  4 ply yarn goes a long way and I only used 103g, so there is still some left for other projects.  The scarf is not a thing of beauty.  But it is very warm and will eventually go to Operation Orphan.

Summer has finally reached my part of the world.  It is a very busy time of year for me and I am now knitting nothing bigger than a hat..... unless the urge to start a bigger project grows too strong!


12 comments:

  1. Looks lovely! I really like the effect of that stitch x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your scarf is lovely and so is your friends sweater, she does indeed paint with yarn.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once knitted all my odds and ends into a sweater for a friend. All the yarn was my handspun, and blended well. We called it the Motley Crew, and it's been going strong for ten years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty scarf you made Una. Have a nice day and weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks lovely Una a very interesting texture, I must have a look at this ladies blog, have a great weekend. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It gives a really lovely effect doesn't it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your ombré scarf looks so effective, Una! It will be loved by it's eventual owner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I follow Dayana too and have wondered the same thing about how she manages to produce so many lovelies! I know you said the scarf is not a thing of beauty, but I really like it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The scarf is lovely and I'm sure whoever gets it will be really pleased with it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the scarf! Lovely colours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That scarf is terrific!
    Today I discovered your blog and although I can't knit as good as you can, I'm going to follow you for inspiration and great pictures.
    I have a little blog of my own but it's more about crochet.
    But I noticed some crochetting on your blog too, that's so nice!
    Looking forward to see more of your creations, Sigrid

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. You are a star.