Collage

Collage
Hello and thanks for visiting my blog. I have been knitting on and off for 50 years and I recently learned to crochet. I love looking for wool bargains and making them into something useful. I mainly knit for charity. I occasionally knit for myself and family members if I find a really good pattern or if they ask nicely!!

Thursday 24 September 2015

Eye eye...




This is all I have managed to knit this month.  It is approximately half of a baby blanket.  Just before my 60th birthday, I received the less than welcome news that I had cataracts.  That was a real party pooper.  But, strangely, it was also the catalyst for doing something that has been on my mind for years.  I have had bad eyesight all my life.  An optician once told me off for using the word "bad".  I suppose there are others, such as restricting, limiting, challenging.  But "bad" is what most people in my position use.  

For the past few years, I have been watching developments in eye surgery techniques. There was an operation that would help me.  But all eye surgery carries risks and I always told myself that I would only take the plunge if I had no choice. Being diagnosed with cataracts qualified as "no choice, get on with it".  So I did.

My first surgery was on September 3rd and it went well.  I can read and knit...slowly. The second op was supposed to have happened last week.  But it was delayed for reasons far too boring for this blog. Until my second eye is fixed next month, my vision is going to be extremely unbalanced.  I am currently very shortsighted in one eye and marginally longsighted in the other eye.  I craft when the lighting is good, but I don't want to end up with eyestrain and headaches.  So I am pacing myself very carefully.

The pattern for the blanket is Emily's Baby Blankie.  I deliberately chose to knit it in my favourite blues to cheer myself up.  One good side effect of cataract surgery is that blues look even bluer.  I wasn't expecting that and I don't know how long ti will last.  But it is a very welcome little gift.  

Note to self: keeping informed is good.  But Googling eye problems and operations can be a bad idea.  There is such a thing as "too much information".  Just saying!


14 comments:

  1. Oh Una, so sorry to hear about your eye situation. It is a good idea to pace yourself. Good luck with that situation.
    I love this baby blanket you are currently working on and the color too.
    Take care of yourself.
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, sometimes your better not knowing also the details of what can possibly go wrong. Your baby blanket is beautiful. Take your time with the crafting. Once you get the second operation over with there'll be no stopping you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you getting surgery number one out of the way and onto number two. Both my parents had the surgery and it helped them both so much. Love the blanket.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good, good, good for your for doing it. You'll love seeing better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blanket is making good progress and will be beautiful when completed. I'm pleased that your surgery so far has been successful, good luck with the next stage - I only wish there was similar surgery for ears!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear that the first op went well, I hope that the second one happens soon and also goes well, and that your eyesight will be "good" for many years to come! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear about your eyesight problems Una, let's hope you make a quick recovery once the other eye is done. Take it easy and dont over do it.
    Lx

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a beautiful blanket :) I hope your eyesight soon improves in the other eye and the op happens soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you make a good recovery soon. My mum had her eyes done years ago and it made such an amazing difference, she just needed to take things slowly at first. The baby blanket is lovely, the blues are so pretty. Best wishes Julia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Una, I hope how soon this will be behind you, and your eyes will be in great shape and you can knit away again. Bummer! But the blanket looks quite lovely. It's true that googling health issues has its own terrors. My hubby is a closet hypochondriac, and he's always coming down with some deadly disease ... for a day. :) Heal quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry to hear about your eye problems Una I missed your post so must have happened while I was having my wisdom teeth out. I hope that you have the second op soon it must be quite frustrating to have such a variation in your vision. I was diagnosed with a cataract in my right eye 2 years ago so I will have to have mine done too at some time. You are quite right looking things up on line is down right scary at times. The blanket is lovely I hope you have a lovely weekend. :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda, my next op is in 11 days time and I'm really hoping this one goes ahead. I'm not nervous about it now. I'll just turn up and keep everything crossed that I leave with a big bandage on my eye!

      Delete
  12. Looking forward to seeing you blogging again (I trust when you've healed up from the second surgery). I'll also be curious to hear a report on how well you like having had the surgery (once you're all healed up). I am near sighted, but I can see much better close up without my glassed than with them. I fear that if I had surgery to correct the near sightedness I'd loose some visual acuity that I currently have without my glasses. I don't know if that makes complete sense, and I may be an odd duck with this situation, but I'm always curious about the total visual acuity package after eye surgery. I'm so glad to read that you're not worried about the second surgery at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes perfect sense as it was one of the questions I asked the surgeon at my first appointment. For example, I could thread a needle without glasses by holding it in front of my eyes. I'm afraid that ability goes after eye surgery. I miss it, but it is a price I had to pay for generally better eyesight. I'm positive about the next op and will post an update afterwards.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. You are a star.