I'm glad to say that the baby blanket I started 7 weeks ago is now finished. It has served its purpose by keeping me company through some rather trying weeks as I recovered from one eye operation and prepare for the second one next week.
I had a very thorough check-up on the operated eye recently and the hospital staff are really impressed at how well I can see. I can read the bottom line on the eye chart which I have never been able to do before. I'm happy and amazed by that. The close-up vision for reading etc is also getting better, though I might eventually need glasses for very fine work. But that is ok and I am actually looking forward to being able to go back to my optician and surprise her with my new prescription.
The blanket pattern is here on Ravelry. For my version, I cast on 172 stitches on 5mm knitting needles. Just 270g of dk yarn gave me a blanket measuring 30" x 33". The pattern was easy to remember. Every fourth row involved yarn overs and careful counting and I'm pleased to say that I managed not to make any mistakes.
This blanket will go to a family baby at some time in the future. The 5mm needles have given it a lovely soft drape. The Robin acrylic yarn that I used means that it will wash well and put up with a lot of use over the years. I have more lovely baby yarn and will definitely make more of these.
Though my blogging has slowed down in relation to my knitting output, I am still enjoying reading all my favourite blogs. Happy October to everybody and thank you for all the good wishes you have been sending me. They really helped to cheer me up.