Collage

Collage
Hello and thanks for visiting my blog. I have been knitting on and off for 50 years and I recently learned to crochet. I love looking for wool bargains and making them into something useful. I mainly knit for charity. I occasionally knit for myself and family members if I find a really good pattern or if they ask nicely!!

Friday 16 October 2015

A finished blanket....




I'm glad to say that the baby blanket I started 7 weeks ago is now finished.  It has served its purpose by keeping me company through some rather trying weeks as I recovered from one eye operation and prepare for the second one next week. 

I had a very thorough check-up on the operated eye recently and the hospital staff are really impressed at how well I can see.  I can read the bottom line on the eye chart which I have never been able to do before.  I'm happy and amazed by that.  The close-up vision for reading etc is also getting better, though I might eventually need glasses for very fine work.  But that is ok and I am actually looking forward to being able to go back to my optician and surprise her with my new prescription.

The blanket pattern is here on Ravelry.  For my version, I cast on 172 stitches on 5mm knitting needles.  Just 270g of dk yarn gave me a blanket measuring 30" x 33". The pattern was easy to remember.  Every fourth row involved yarn overs and careful counting and I'm pleased to say that I managed not to make any mistakes.

This blanket will go to a family baby at some time in the future. The 5mm needles have given it a lovely soft drape.  The Robin acrylic yarn that I used means that it will wash well and put up with a lot of use over the years.  I have more lovely baby yarn and will definitely make more of these.

Though my blogging has slowed down in relation to my knitting output, I am still enjoying reading all my favourite blogs.  Happy October to everybody and thank you for all the good wishes you have been sending me.  They really helped to cheer me up.

13 comments:

  1. Glad your first operation was so successful....good luck for the second one. The blanket is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there Una,
    I am so glad the eye surgery went well. Your blanket is so Beautiful!
    Wishing you a nice weekend.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good the eye is coming along so well. That said, I think your knitting (and crochet) output exceeds anyone with two sound eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad the operation went well Una and your sight is so good already, I have never been able to read the bottom line with both eyes never mind one. the blanket is lovely, good luck with the second operation I hope that it's as successful as the first. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear that all went well with your operation, I hope that the other one goes just as well! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done on being able to still produce lovely work even
    though you've had eye surgery!!!! Wow!! I hope you recover
    from the second surgery as good. The blanket is gorgeous.
    Cheers, Anita.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great news on your eye health my friend!
    Love that blanket.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to read all went well with op, fingers crossed the second op goes as smoothly. Ali

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear you've been undergoing operations but wonderful that the first has been a success - hugs and will be thinking of you for your second xx the blanket is gorgeous xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful blanket Una. Hope you are doing well. Be good to yourself. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. And Happy October to you! My favorite month is almost over :(
    I'm so glad to hear of the success of your eye surgery. I know that's a relief. I hope the next one goes just as well, and you recover very quickly. I'm amazed that you knitted that blanket while recovering! I've done a "wave pattern" like that, with a pattern in each 4th row. Very fun and rewarding, but it's a bear to count!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I glad to hear your eye operation went so well and hope that the second one will also be successful. Love the wee baby blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The results of your eye surgery sound wonderful Una! The baby blanket is beautiful; love the colourways.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. You are a star.