Collage

Collage
Hello and thanks for visiting my blog. I have been knitting on and off for 50 years and I recently learned to crochet. I love looking for wool bargains and making them into something useful. I mainly knit for charity. I occasionally knit for myself and family members if I find a really good pattern or if they ask nicely!!

Saturday 22 July 2017

Summer knitting...




This is all I have to show for the last few weeks. 
  • A heatwave (welcome, but too hot for knitting), followed by 
  • a "meet-the-inlaws" family barbecue (a great day) followed by
  • a Cliff Richard concert (swoon, though he said he is unknown in America. So, many of my blog readers won't know why I'm swooning), followed by
  • 2 weeks of Wimbledon tennis (had to concentrate on it more this year as I was lucky enough to be given tickets for the Ladies' semi-finals), followed by 
  • a week up a ladder painting ceilings (my least favourite diy job

put the brakes on my knitting and crocheting. I managed just a few rows of a little preemie blanket most evenings (when my clingy cat would allow it)  and here it is.

I started this blanket in the heatwave. It was too hot to hold anything thicker than 4 ply wool. So I decided to use up a ball of pale blue 4 ply on a small corner-to-corner blanket. It will eventually go off to PreemiesUK

This is an easy, mindless pattern. The difficulty is in knowing when to stop increasing and start decreasing. I started with 95g of yarn. So, I intend to stop increasing when I have 50g left, just to be on the safe side. But I would also like the blanket to measure 15" x 15" which is one of PreemieUK's preferred sizes. I am currently at 14.5" and 62g of yarn left and have reached the stage of weighing my ball of wool after every couple of rows. At the moment, I wouldn't stake any money on my reaching 15".

I finished the decorating yesterday and planned to treat myself to a trip out today. But the weather had other ideas. The rain is pouring down at the moment. That is very welcome in the garden after the hot, dry summer weather; so, it isn't all bad. In fact, it is the perfect chance to catch up on blogging and other small tasks.

I am sitting at my desk now looking at thick grey clouds that are so low they are almost touching my windows. But tomorrow's weather is forecast to be dry and 21 Celsius....my all-time favourite temperature....woo hoo! Where shall I go? Decisions, decisions!


9 comments:

  1. Sounds like your summer is full of fun, well minus those ceilings. Good luck with the preemie blanket finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect you're busier in retirement than you were when working, Una! I am very envious of your Wimbledon tickets; I watched the ladies' semi-finals on TV. We did get to the Test match at Lords though. Glad to see you are still knitting, even if not at the previous rate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sound like one busy lady Una I hate painting ceilings and always end up with a stiff neck, you were so lucky to get those tickets, it's very rarely too hot to knit up here in the cold North East I'm in the hat knitting mode at the moment usuing 3 strands of cone yarn. I haven't had time to blog for ages busy trying to sell my home and a few health issues which tend to wear me out. Have a great Sunday. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been missing your blog posts. I hope things sort themselves out for you.

      Delete
  4. OOh Una glad to see you pop up on my feed. I wondered what you had been up to. Glad you are well. I have finished a quilt you might like... Jo x
    http://joeveryday19.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, Una! How can a heat wave be WELCOME? Clearly, we live in different climes :) Over here, we are melting away, and everyone stays indoors in the air conditioning. It's just horrid hot outside! Temps are about 95 F, and the heat index most days is over 110 F. Ugh.
    I do know who Cliff Richard is! I learned of him when I was in Switzerland after college, even back then, he was all the rage :) Well, I hope your ceiling painting is over soon, and you can stand to hold that wool again. Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here a heatwave is anything over 80 F. That doesn't happen very often. If it reaches 95 F which it has done this year, we melt as well. Personally, I love 70 F and could live with that all year.

      Delete
  6. You have been busy! Hope that it is a good knitting temperature for you today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have been busy, my mum is a big Cliff fan.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. You are a star.