Collage

Collage
Hello and thanks for visiting my blog. I have been knitting on and off for 50 years and I recently learned to crochet. I love looking for wool bargains and making them into something useful. I mainly knit for charity. I occasionally knit for myself and family members if I find a really good pattern or if they ask nicely!!

Sunday 7 January 2018

Worry puppets...



2017 was a  year I will be happy to forget for lots of reasons. By December I felt just about ready to knit something daft but useful. I don't often knit toys. But a charity I have knitted for in the past (Knit for Nowt) has changed its focus from hats and blankets to therapy puppets and worry monsters. These are used by social workers, therapists and teachers all over the UK who are helping children through various traumas. The idea is that the child writes down a worry and posts it into a pocket on the puppet. This acts as an ice-breaker which, hopefully, leads to discussion and eventual help for the child.

There are lots of patterns ranging from knitting to crocheting and sewing available on the Knit for Nowt website. The pattern I chose is on this page. It is the seventh pattern in the list and is called "Another Worry Puppet". Clicking on the link brings up a word document containing the pattern. Your imagination can run riot when making these puppets. I think my imagination was only strolling along as my puppets are very plain compared to some of the other wonders on the website. I simply gave mine blue jeans, a cream jumper and a big red pocket for a mouth.

But I think I have now caught the bug. There are lots of good ideas on the Knit for Nowt website and their latest newsletter shows just how much these puppets are used and appreciated. It even mentions that there is a high demand for finger puppets. I know some people love to make these; but I'm not one of them! They are far too fiddly for me. However, Hubby finished with a perfectly good cotton jumper today and I just saved it from the bin. I'm intending to print off some sewing patterns for glove puppets from this page. Watch this space...

11 comments:

  1. What an amazing thing to do for those children Una. Those puppets are wonderful. Happy 2018!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Una, you are so great to do this all. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such lovely and much wanted makes.
    Some of our ladies at the knit group have been making 'teddies for trauma' asked for by the local PCSO.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Una, I think your worry puppets are every bit as imaginative as the others I saw (on various links I clicked on following your links). I love that the pocket is the mouth on these. The children who use these will adore that. Thank you for the introduction to another charity that can benefit from the talents of knitters and crocheters. The projects you make for the care of others is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your puppets, Una! That's a great idea to get children talking about their worries...might mention it to my social worker stepdaughter to see if they use something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are really cute Una, I haven't made any yet and I'm not sure that I will but I know that Clair is desperate for as many as she can get so she's going to be thrilled to receive yours. I'm looking forward to seeing your finger puppet creations. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't hold your breath waiting for my finger puppets! They are "not happening" as Daughter would say! Too fiddly for me.

      Delete
  7. Great puppets! Such a good idea. And I would like to wish you joy and happiness in 2018 Una. M

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those worry puppets you made are so cute! I love the idea that the children enjoy them and then put a worry in their pockets and then receive the help and support they need based on their worry. This is such a great idea and such a wonderful cause to knit for!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm eager to see what you make for this charity! That sounds wonderful. I love imagining you sneaking into the kitchen to rescue whatever your hubby has just thrown out, haha! Pretty funny :) Your puppets are great! I have a friend who knits little bunnies for newborn babies, instead of the prayer shawls the rest of us knit. She makes a small pillow to serve as its head, and inserts it into the bunny pattern, which looks more like a large, fluffy, knitted hankie. If I ever get around to making one, I'll share it on the blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. You are a star.