Collage

Collage
Hello and thanks for visiting my blog. I have been knitting on and off for 50 years and I recently learned to crochet. I love looking for wool bargains and making them into something useful. I mainly knit for charity. I occasionally knit for myself and family members if I find a really good pattern or if they ask nicely!!

Sunday 18 October 2020

All masked out...


I decided to make a couple of pretty masks...for myself this time. There was a bargain rail outside a charity shop. On it I found a little skirt for £1. The material was lovely. It was such a small skirt with seams in all the wrong places. So I just about managed to cut enough pieces to make two masks. 

I use the fantastic pattern by Dhurata Davies. It is so comfortable and stays in place without constant adjustments. There are three layers as recommended by the medical experts. So it was quite hot in the summer even though I use cotton material. But we are now coming up to the cold seasons and this is already keeping my face toasty warm.

Talking of charity shops, I recently started volunteering in one on two mornings per week. It was for entirely selfish reasons. I was going stir crazy because I'm waiting until at least next year before braving the gym again, and my other voluntary work hasn't really restarted properly yet. So the charity shop gives me a good opportunity to get out and keep active.

It's quite an eye-opener to see what goes on behind the scenes. We receive tons of donations and most are good quality. So far, I've managed to resist the urge to buy everything apart from one little jumper. It's lovely to see people buying the bargains. It's not so lovely dealing with customers asking for price reductions or even freebies. Luckily, I wear a mask and they can't see the disgusted look on my face. We are a charity shop for goodness sake! It's even less lovely when items are stolen. That is rare but extremely annoying. I suggested that maybe the thieves are really desperate. But the manager checks the CCTV and says you'd be shocked at the unexpected people who steal.😢

I made some more masks for the Worry Monsters given out by Knit-for-Nowt. Clare, who runs the charity, asked for material in plain colours instead of my carefully sourced children's patterns. I can see how the patterns might have detracted from the amazing monsters that she receives. For these masks, below, I just used material from old t-shirts. All the masks I have made, patterned and plain, have been given out and were very well received according to Clare.


It's worth looking at the Knit-for-Nowt website to see what marvels are sent in. The therapists who receive them are rightly delighted with them and Clare has a long waiting list of people who have requested the monsters. If anyone feels like knitting, sewing or crocheting even one monster she would be very grateful. She is based in the UK and gives out her address when requested by email.

I've made dozens of masks recently. It's not something any of us thought we would be doing this year. I have to admit the novelty has well and truly worn off. Someone asked me to make her a mask using Christmas material. I agreed, but don't know when I will feel like doing it. Possibly at Easter 😀.



4 comments:

  1. I just love that fabric that came from a skirt. How clever for you to think of making masks with it. And what pretty masks, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been the strange, strange year that will not end.
    Your masks from the charity skirt are lovey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean, Una. I'm weary of mask-making too. I need to make a few more because we do wear them all the time when we are out of the house, eps. my husband. I will go check out that mask pattern. I'm always looking for a good one. Thanks! Glad you are working at that shop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your masks are really pretty Una, I used that pattern for the first and only masK I made that actually fits, it's maybe a bit big but it's ok, after that I bought a couple from Amazon, they are plain navy and work fine I can't bring myself to make anymore so I get where you are coming from. Well done on volunteering in the charity shop, I have thought about doing the same but the ones in my area seem to be very well staffed. Unfortunately I'm not in the mood for making worry monsters either but that will change at some point. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. You are a star.