Collage

Collage
Hello and thanks for visiting my blog. I have been knitting on and off for 50 years and I recently learned to crochet. I love looking for wool bargains and making them into something useful. I mainly knit for charity. I occasionally knit for myself and family members if I find a really good pattern or if they ask nicely!!

Sunday 23 June 2013

Entrelac baby blanket: are we there yet?



I just have one more block of 4 colours to knit and then the main body of my entrelac baby blanket will be finished.  I just have to add a knitted-on edging after that.  I have a few decisions to make first.  Should I block it before or after adding the edging.  How severely should I block it?  I could make it almost flat.  Or I could leave it quite springy and quilt-like.  I will probably sit on the fence and aim for something in-between.  Depending on what it looks like after blocking, I might or might not line it.  I have some lovely soft white flannelette that would do the job nicely.  Decisions, decisions.  

7 comments:

  1. It's looking lovely Una, can't wait to see it finished, what does it look like on the wrong side, I think that would be the deciding factor for me as regards lining, and then if I was lining it, I would probably block it flatter than I would if it wasn't being blocked. Looking forward to seeing what you decide.:)





    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've kept the joins very neat, but the wrong side still looks ....wrong. It will look better after blocking though. But it is definitely a deciding factor..to line or not to line?

      Delete
  2. The baby blanket I just finished I decided not to block. I used a superwash yarn so my daughter-in-law can throw it in the washer when it gets dirty, and decided that it wouldn't get blocked after each of those washings, so there seemed little point in me blocking it before I gave it to her. I washed it and spread it out to dry and that was enough to even out the stitches. However, maybe entrelac needs blocking after it's knit. ??

    Whatever you decide to do, it is a beautiful blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would definitely wait until you've added the border to block it, or you may end up doing it twice. I like the texture, so I block as little as possible. I think lining is just a personal choice. I don't line mine, but I did once sew a pretty cotton bias tape around the line where the border joins the main blanket on the reverse, and I really liked the effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's great to get advice from "one who knows". I'll add the border first. i have some nice tape, so that might be a possibility as well.

      Delete
  4. I can't help you with your decisions, but it looks so great already!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so lovely, well done you have much more patience and talent than me! - as others have said it looks great and the texture even looking at it from the picture looks really good so looking forward to seeing your end result xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. You are a star.