Collage

Collage
Hello and thanks for visiting my blog. I have been knitting on and off for 50 years and I recently learned to crochet. I love looking for wool bargains and making them into something useful. I mainly knit for charity. I occasionally knit for myself and family members if I find a really good pattern or if they ask nicely!!

Tuesday 19 May 2015

My first half granny square shawl...




Here is my first ever half granny square shawl.  I crocheted it for SIBOL and it will end up on the shoulders of someone in a UK care home for the elderly.  Sue at SIBOL is currently accepting shawls and lap blankets and always lets you know when your items arrive and even when they are delivered to the homes.  See more about SIBOL here.

The pattern I followed was "The original half granny square shawl" by Ambar E. Rivera.  There are other similar patterns, but I found this one very easy to understand.  It was also the only one to suggest a way to prevent the top edge curving too much.  I could see early on that mine was going to curve like a banana, so I was very pleased that Ambar's simple remedy worked.

I used a lovely pink and purple variegated yarn from Robin.  My knitter's brain expected it to make stripes.  But it has short colour changes which make splodges when crocheted.  So I added a few rows of grey yarn at regular intervals to highlight the shape of the shawl. 

I will definitely make this again, so here are my stats:
dk yarn and 5mm hook
45 rounds plus edging 
weighs  240g
measures 54" across top edge, 28" from neck to point, and 42" along sides

I followed the pattern exactly but added my own simple edging.  I think I even made up this edging as I haven't been able to find it on Ravelry.  It deserves a blog post of its own....watch this space...


8 comments:

  1. Ypur shawl looks great.....you used a different pattern than me....I mst have a look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful shawl Una! I think this will be very well received, a perfect size for keeping the chill off, and so pretty :)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Una, it is just gorgeous.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this Una, inspired me to print off and have a go x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you. I used to love reading your blog. I hope you find time to write it again.

      Delete
  5. It's lovely Una and will be well appreciated by whoever receives it, I do have this pattern in my ravelry library I must give it a go. Have a great weekend. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very, very nice. I like this shape shawl. You are so knowledgeable about yarn work -- watching the "banana curl" and adding the gray to give a visual aid to shape. Those are such helpful ideas. It's lovely, and it will be so useful to someone in a home. Now I'm wondering if my shawl I'm making with do that curl? Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My curl was obvious almost from the first few rows. Maybe it was to do with my tension. You might be luckier than I was, though it didn't take me long to undo the work and start again.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. You are a star.