Collage

Collage
Hello and thanks for visiting my blog. I have been knitting on and off for 50 years and I recently learned to crochet. I love looking for wool bargains and making them into something useful. I mainly knit for charity. I occasionally knit for myself and family members if I find a really good pattern or if they ask nicely!!

Monday 29 June 2015

Two more balaclavas....






I love this balaclava pattern.  It is very easy and I have made many of these.  The garter ridges are optional.  I omitted them from the variegated hat as the yarn is already stripy enough. 

I've had this yarn for several months and found it when on a drive around Kent.  A lady had turned her front room into a small antiques and collectables shop and was selling a big bag of this for a very reasonable price.  I was her only customer at the time as it was a cold day.  I hope she did well as initiative like that deserves to be rewarded.

I can't remember where the navy blue yarn came from, but it would have been another bargain purchase.  Both yarns were lovely to knit with, though there were no labels so I am not quite sure what they are.

These two balaclavas will fit boys aged 3-4 years old and are destined for Operation Orphan.  Each one used only 36g of dk yarn.  The pattern also has instructions for an eighteen months to 3 years size.  I think that would look lovely in slightly prettier colours, so it is now on my fairly long to-do list.

7 comments:

  1. Those are so cute and will surely be well loved and worn a lot. What a nice thing for you to do! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely knitting, Una, great choice of yarn. I like that pattern too, and have made it a couple of times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great! I bet they will be much appreciated. I hope the lady in Kent did well as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look lovely and warm Una a great use for that yarn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those balaclavas will be loved, I am sure. My young boys used to love wearing ski masks (similar to this, but with the face covered). It's nice to find a pattern you enjoy repeating, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you! I know they will be enjoyed in the winter months. I can see those little boys playing in the snow with warm ears :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. You are a star.