Collage

Collage
Hello and thanks for visiting my blog. I have been knitting on and off for 50 years and I recently learned to crochet. I love looking for wool bargains and making them into something useful. I mainly knit for charity. I occasionally knit for myself and family members if I find a really good pattern or if they ask nicely!!

Sunday 30 August 2015

A hat and scarf set....




Having recently started to make hats and scarves for older children and then somehow ending up making them for younger children instead, I decided to "get with the plot".  I had about 150g of Robin FX Dk yarn in a  lovely shade of oatmeal.  It was just crying out to be turned into a hat and scarf set.  

The label describes it as premium acrylic which some purists might think is a contradiction in terms.  But it was lovely to knit with, didn't have any knots and produced a perfect texture in both knitted and crocheted items.

I didn't follow any particular scarf pattern.  I simply did row after row of crochet v-stitch and really like the way it turned out.  It is reversible, doesn't curl at the edges and drapes nicely.  I will definitely make more of these.  I used a 4mm hook, chained 27 stitches, and used 110g of the yarn.  That gave me a scarf measuring 6.25 inches by 65 inches.

The rest of the yarn went towards making this simple beanie hat which should fit a teenager.  It is from the well-written Two by Two Basic Beanie pattern.  There are instructions for sizes ranging from baby to large adult and I can really recommend it.

Both these items will go off to Operation Orphan.  They are not really a matching set since the only thing they have in common is the yarn. However, they are very unlikely to stay together and that is ok as it means two teenagers will benefit....a win win situation.


8 comments:

  1. I love knitting with a nice acrylic. These are very nice looking, Una. The young people who receive them will, no doubt, love them. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hat and scarf and just perfect for winter and hope they will keep someone happy and warm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great make! I should have thought acrylic yarn perfect for anything for a child as it will be hardwearing and washable! Two things that are needed in childrens clothing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a lovely set in a neutral colour, which will appeal to teenagers. V stitch a good idea for a crocheted scarf - another one to add to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Despite being a self-admitted yarn snob, I have found that some acrylics are really lovely. :-) And that scarf looks so squishy!! Love the stitch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I looked at your four latest posts on my feedly, Una, it was hard to choose which to read first -- all your photos are so pretty. I love this oatmeal color, and yes, there are very nice, soft acrylics that work up so well and feel great. I LOVE that v-stitch. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely set Una - and I cannot think of a better place to send them to than Operation Orphan. I too support this great charity. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. You are a star.