As I look back through this blog, there is a definite pink theme. That is purely by coincidence and I'm not really sure how it happened! Just to be different, I dug into my bag of bargain wool and pulled out:
- lime green wool
- grey and brown camouflage wool
- cream wool that was a little too rough to be used on its own
These came in one of my bargain buys and I can understand why someone else would avoid using them. However, I like the challenge of producing something useful from the unlikeliest of yarns.
I knitted 2 little waistcoats by combining the cream and lime green for one and the cream and camouflage wool for the other. The cream softened the lime green and gave more of a tweed effect to the camouflage wool. All the wool was dk weight so the end results are warm and chunky.
The buttonholes are quite large and the only suitable buttons in my box were a plain beige colour. So I used grey thread on the camouflage waistcoat and pale green thread on the green waistcoat. Small details matter and I think the buttons now look perfect.
I used up the remainder of the wool by knitting 2 little baby hats. The colours are not the obvious choice for baby hats. But these items are destined for Greenfields Africa which is an organisation that supplies blankets and clothing to children in Kenya and Uganda. Colours that would look strange in an English nursery will fit in perfectly in another part of the world.
The waistcoat was very easy and quick to knit. The pattern is called "Mayflower's Basic Bodywarmer" and it can be found in the pattern section of the Loving Hands website.
For the ribbed hat, I used the Basic Ribbed Baby/Child Hat pattern.
For the plain hat: I used the Basic Baby Hat pattern.