Having decided that a granny square with 2 chain stitches in the corners was the best for me, I then made this square with 3 chain stitches in each corner. There was method in my madness. The square covers the top of a useful but shabby (not chic) cupboard. I wanted the wood to show through, so big holes were perfect for this square.
I used oddments from my Aran collection and these colours go with the room decor. The dark brown was a tiny ball that wasn't much use for anything, and the lighter brown is a particularly nasty yarn that I don't like but can't justify throwing away. This square used up most of the browns and they blend in nicely.
This took just a few hours to make, though I maybe should have spent a bit longer on the centre which is a bit wonky. I'm chuffed that I managed to make something useful from yarn that was either free or very cheap. This square makes me smile every time I notice it. If I saw this in a shop, I would probably buy it.
I am gradually starting to think of myself as someone who can crochet. Woo hoo!