Collage

Collage
Hello and thanks for visiting my blog. I have been knitting on and off for 50 years and I recently learned to crochet. I love looking for wool bargains and making them into something useful. I mainly knit for charity. I occasionally knit for myself and family members if I find a really good pattern or if they ask nicely!!

Wednesday 30 January 2013

The four seasons garden blanket....



I was calling this the "meadow blanket" after the name of the main colour.  But now I have added other colours and I think the "four seasons garden blanket" is more appropriate.

The main pale green colour (which still refuses to show up properly in photos) reminds me of my spring garden....green, verdant and full of promise.  The yellow stripe reminds me of the blazing summer that we always hope for and sometimes get.  The brown stripe is my soil after I have dug it over in the autumn.  The stripe that I am working on now is a mixture of grey and off white.  It looks just like my garden after it has been glazed with frost or a sprinkling of snow.  The next stripe will use up the last of the meadow colour.  I am then planning to edge the whole blanket with another shade of light green to pull it all together. 

This blanket has designed itself.  I am simply using up balls of wool that I have no other idea what to do with.  They are all very thin plys and I am doubling up and even quadrupling up in places to try to make sure the blanket is the same thickness throughout.  My grey and white stripe is a mixture of coned 3 ply wool and grey sock wool that I am knitting from both ends of the ball at the same time.  That can produce some very interesting tangles!

As it is, this blanket is screaming "dog blanket".  But I think I can pretty it up a little and turn it into a unisex laprug for an elderly person.  So, if there is any green left over, I will embroider a scattering of leaves.  By then, spring will be on the horizon and my real garden will be waking up.


10 comments:

  1. The blanket is looking really good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lovely colours, when spring comes and you can sit in your garden again you'll be happy to have it.
    Magdalena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it wonderful to use up scraps? Looks amazing and I love that you give things a name. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great project. Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a good stash buster Una whoever receives it in the end will love it I'm sure, I love the leaves idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the blend of colours! I expect using multiples of the finer plys will add texture, too.

    Looking forward to seeing it finished - a great way to make use of yarn you love rather than just have it sit 'waiting' for a project!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Una, wonderful to visit your blog..What a great way to meet like minded women..Still working my way thru all the blogs..such delight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely blanket, the idea of embroidering leaves on it sounds great! Elisabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely colours and great idea to associate them with the seasons...it would be good for the lucky recipient to know the story behind it....

    Ali

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. You are a star.