Collage

Collage
Hello and thanks for visiting my blog. I have been knitting on and off for 50 years and I recently learned to crochet. I love looking for wool bargains and making them into something useful. I mainly knit for charity. I occasionally knit for myself and family members if I find a really good pattern or if they ask nicely!!

Friday 18 October 2013

More baby hats...


I recently went through my bag of wool scraps and used up all the pastel dk yarn.  A few days ago I made a start on the brighter/darker dk yarn scraps.  Some of the wool came in a bargain lot and some was kindly donated to me.  These are the baby hats I managed to knit.


  • The rust hat was a great way to use up an oddment of brown and some very dubious beige wool.  I like the way the colours work together.
  • The bright yellow in the next hat was from a ball of wool that had been used previously and was all crinkly.  A good soaking in special wool detergent has softened it up beautifully.
  • The green hat was the biggest surprise.  I love this shade of moss green and would definitely consider using it again for baby blankets or hats.
  • The variegated blue and pink yarn is one of my favourites.  I knitted a hat and scarf for myself and this is all that was left.  It is supposed to be dk weight but I had to add some fine coned yarn to it to make it the same thickness as the pink brim.
Most of these colours might seem strange for a baby.  But these are charity knits and will eventually go to countries that specifically request darker colours.  The charity I will probably send these to is Greenfields Africa.  This organisation gives baby clothes and blankets to pregnant women to encourage them to attend antenatal lessons.

I enjoyed knitting these hats.  There was a little bit of design skill needed when putting colours together and a little bit of maths skill needed when judging yarn weights.

The pattern I used is here.  I love this pattern.  It makes what I think of as a real head shaped hat and the decreases at the crown are very neat.  

My brighter/darker dk wool scraps are now nearly all used up.  But I have coned yarn and 4 ply yarn that is just crying out to be matched together to make more hats........so watch this space!




6 comments:

  1. Always love seeing your charity knits - don't know where you find the energy! Bless you, as always. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are good colours for being worn in Africa

    ReplyDelete
  3. They turned out so lovely! I think I like the darker colors for babies. The vibrant colors will be enchanting for any little one to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely hats Una so colourful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're such a kind person, Una. I really enjoy seeing these things you make for others. I am sure they will keep people warm and happy this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful hats!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. You are a star.