Collage

Collage
Hello and thanks for visiting my blog. I have been knitting on and off for 50 years and I recently learned to crochet. I love looking for wool bargains and making them into something useful. I mainly knit for charity. I occasionally knit for myself and family members if I find a really good pattern or if they ask nicely!!

Sunday 18 May 2014

Top-down baby cardigan: finished....




Ta dah!  Here is the top-down baby cardigan that I blogged about recently.  I was inspired by our beautiful weather and by the lovely photos in many of my favourite blogs especially Dayana Knits.  So I went out into the garden and gave the neighbours something to wonder about!!  The pale patch at the bottom right of the cardigan is just a reflection.  I should go back out and take another photo; but I'm off to work soon, so there isn't time....sorry.

It could have been a quick knit, but I have been manically busy recently.  Luckily it was a fairly easy knit and I'm pleased at how it turned out considering it was the first time I have knitted this type of pattern.  It was knitted in one seamless piece, though I had to pick up stitches for the collar and sleeves.  The collar was actually easier than expected as the pattern is well written.  The sleeves were the first I have ever knitted on dpns and went so well that I might use this method in future.  

The yarn I used was Chelsea Silk which is 65% silk and 35% wool.  It was donated to me by Joanne of the Cup On The Bus blog, It makes a very warm and strong garment.  I wouldn't normally use such a thick yarn for a baby knit but this will eventually be going off to a cold country where keeping babies warm is very difficult.  This seamless pattern was perfect as I can imagine that seams sewn from this yarn would be too bulky for a baby.

The buttons are nice enough but not brilliant.  They were in my already big collection and I couldn't justify buying more.  As usual, I sewed them on very carefully as I hope this cardigan will be worn and passed down for years.

 I found the pattern on Ravelry here.  I knitted the 6-12 months size and it took just under 200g of Aran weight yarn.  Knitters on Ravelry have commented that this pattern knits up big. From distant memory of my daughter when she was a baby, I think this would be suitable as a coat or jacket for a baby and then as a cardigan as the baby grew bigger.  The beauty of knitting for charity is that it will fit someone out there!  

When I started knitting this pattern I wasn't sure if it was easier than knitting a cardigan in individual pieces.  But once I got past the increases on the yoke, it was a breeze.  I will definitely knit this again.

11 comments:

  1. Hi Una, that's a beautiful cardigan.... I totally love it. I came by to say hi and wish you a happy Sunday...

    Oh BTW, I've moved from shabby chic crochet to rose hill collections.... See ya soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the perfect sweater for a little boy! It's on my list to knit for a grandson, should one happen along in our family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's gorgeous! Very envious I can't see getting that good ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's lovely Una I like the overall shape of it you would never guess that it was made in one piece. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks gorgeous! I'll have to investigate the pattern :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, it came out beautifully. I’m sure it will be treasured.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so very lovely!! I hope I'll be able to knit that kind of thing soon. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a blessing for some little one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hurray! The sweater is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a very cute little sweater. I'm glad the construction worked out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a darling piece! Glad you found it easy; it's so cute.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. You are a star.