Collage

Collage
Hello and thanks for visiting my blog. I have been knitting on and off for 50 years and I recently learned to crochet. I love looking for wool bargains and making them into something useful. I mainly knit for charity. I occasionally knit for myself and family members if I find a really good pattern or if they ask nicely!!

Saturday 10 May 2014

Top down baby cardigan...




Continuing with the theme of enjoying the lovely yarn donated to me by Joanne of the Cup On The Bus blog, I couldn't resist this Chelsea Silk which is 65% silk and 35% wool.  This is sheer luxury to someone like me who usually buys acrylic yarn in balls. Somehow a skein looks more elegant than a ball and these skeins are particularly easy to wind without creating a tangled mess.

I'm saving some skeins for a blanket.  But I also decided to use some for a top down baby cardigan.  I have never knitted this type of pattern before and, while it is an interesting new experience, the jury is still out on whether it is easier or harder than the more usual cardigan pattern.  I usually avoid any pattern that says "place markers" and I had 2 false starts with this one when I forgot to increase on both sides of the markers.  Hey ho.

But I persisted and I have now worked past the difficult increasing part of the pattern and am on the main body of the cardigan.....no more markers required!  When that is finished I have to pick up and knit the sleeves on dpns.  That will also be a new experience as I usually only use them for the last few rows of a hat.

This cardigan is a charity knit and will go to a part of the world where it is very unlikely to be tossed into a washing machine.  It is knitting up to be a very strong fabric and I'm happy that it will survive lots of wear.  

I found the pattern on Ravelry here.

9 comments:

  1. I've just had a look at the pattern Una and it's going to be lovely, when it's finished. I don't think that I have done a top down one in knitting before but it's good to try something different sometimes although I have to say the dpns still get the better of me, good luck with it and have fun, I'm sure it will turn out as perfect as all your makes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like knitting top down sweaters because they are knit in one piece.
    Every time I visit your blog, I get itchy to knit baby things. But I am not the type of person to have more than one project going at a time. The shawl I am knitting seems like it is taking me forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Una, I am so happy for this yarn. I've knit that style sweater for years, especially pullovers. They fit whoever puts them on. That yarn is wonderful; I knit one hat from it for one hatless granddaughter to have at the bus stop.
    Beautiful. Your blog made my heart go pitty pat when it rolled up.
    Love, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a really cute pattern, Una! I have knit a couple top down sweaters and have mixed feelings about the process. The top part doesn't seem intuitive to me, so I am always wondering if I'm getting it right. But I love the part after all the top shaping, where you just knit away until you are finished. And if it is a sweater for yourself you can try it on and get the exact length you want.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is going to be an adorable little sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Impressed with your skill as always! It will be beautiful! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely colour - it's going to be a super little cardigan!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Una! I really enjoy reading your blog! I've nominated you for a blog award. If you are interested in participating, here is the link.
    http://bookfairy43.blogspot.com/2014/05/a-blog-award.html
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's beautiful yarn. I also buy acrylic almost exclusively b/c it's cheaper and wears well. But oh the joy! of receiving truly beautiful wool in one of those long skeins! There's something so lovely, so enticing, about pretty yarn ... which is why I must stay OUT of the very nice yarn stores - haha!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. You are a star.