Collage

Collage
Hello and thanks for visiting my blog. I have been knitting on and off for 50 years and I recently learned to crochet. I love looking for wool bargains and making them into something useful. I mainly knit for charity. I occasionally knit for myself and family members if I find a really good pattern or if they ask nicely!!

Friday 6 June 2014

...and now, a half circle skirt.....





My daughter fell in love with some material recently and we bought what was left in the shop.  There wasn't enough for a full circle skirt, so Daughter set it aside for shorts. Then, to my relief, she changed her mind and asked me to make another skirt.

I worked out that there was enough material for a half circle skirt and that is what I made.  There are lots of tutorials for making these skirts.  But I eventually just followed the same instructions for making a full circle skirt.  I like to open the material out to just one layer for cutting.  There is quite a bit of maths involved, but I now know that to fit a waist of 26" and hips of 36" I need to cut out a semi-circle of 10" plus a little bit for a seam allowance.* (A seam is unavoidable in a half circle skirt). On either side of this semi-circle, there has to be enough material to allow for the final length and a small hem.

Note to self:  material measuring 60" x 36" was enough for a half circle skirt 24" long.

The photo shows Daughter wearing the skirt with her own 21st century twist.  The pesky denim jacket is still there and those are black leggings which look quite good with the skirt.  Anyone with eagle eyes might spot that she is holding a matching hair scrunchie in her right hand.  That will be the subject of a future blog post.

* when making a full circle skirt the waist radius needs to be only 5" and no seam allowance is necessary if the material is large enough to cut the circle without a seam. 



7 comments:

  1. Great skirt, I am about to embark on a Delphine, by Tilly Walnes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Una it looks great even with the obligatory denim jacket and I bet it does look lovely with leggings. Your daughter is very lucky to have such a clever mum. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done you, that's a great skirt. I had to make a little skater skirt a few weeks ago & took ages to work out how to cut it and get the measurements right!
    Happy weekend, xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember fighting to make these skirts from the fabric on hand back in the fifties.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a really cute skirt (& scrunchie!). I used to make capes for my kids using a half circle ... Superman and princess capes were all the rage in my house. I bet I could revamp them into a skirt too ;)
    Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job, Una! I recall the other skirt, and they are both lovely :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. You are a star.