I started this giant crochet blanket at the beginning of April and finished it today....phew! I wasn't really working to a deadline, but we have relatives coming to London at the weekend and I won't have much time for crafting. I knew I would feel more relaxed if this was finished, so I pulled out all the stops.
The blanket will go off to Operation Orphan. They like blankets to be single bed size. I was aiming for 60" x 40" and actually ended up with 60" x 50" due to not measuring my foundation chain carefully enough!
This blanket will easily cover 2 children. People who know me now would be surprised at my start in life. We slept 4 in a bed and had coats over us instead of blankets. I would have loved a blanket like this. Without getting too sentimental, making this blanket felt a bit like reaching out to my former self who shivered with ice on the inside of the bedroom window and someone else's elbow up her nose!! At least I can laugh about it now.
Being a bit of a sadist, I decided to count how many stitches I started with and how many I ended up with. Somehow I had one more stitch in my last row than in my first. I suspect that happened during one of the black stripes. Someone warned me about crocheting with black yarn, but I carried on regardless. It doesn't show and I'm not going to fret about it. In fact, I'm pleased it was only 1 extra stitch as this is the biggest thing I have ever crocheted. There are over 24,000 stitches in this blanket......of which nearly 5000 were as a result of my not measuring the starting chain correctly. I'll know in future!
I now know that the following statistics will produce a blanket measuring 60" x 40":
5mm crochet hook
124 stitches per row
I loved crocheting this blanket and I'm already planning my next one. There are lots of exclamation marks in this post. That's because I feel like celebrating with a Mexican wave and a can of my favourite pear cider!!!!!